Finland is world famous for high standards in education.
In the Education Module, the participants can experience the Finnish higher-education by participating in workshops that are provided by local partner Universities.
Education Module can be 3-4 days. Workshops can be combined, depending on the interests of the group.
After the Education Module is completed, each participant will receive a certificate of participation.
In this workshop the participants will build a lego robot as a small group task.Load your program to the central unit mounted on your robot and see your robot move by the end of the workshop! Learning objectives:
- Learn the basics of mechanics
- Learn the basics of visual programming
- Learn how to connect a motor to a mechanical construction
- Enhance teamworking and problem solving skills
Game Design & Development Workshop
In this workshop, the participants will learn how to make games, and will develop their own game as a group.
- Analytical thinking – what makes a good game?
- Learning basics about game design
- Designing your own game
- Game development in a nutshell
- Working with graphics, coding and animations
- Developing a game as a part of a team
- Task oriented group work skills
Extreme Tempretures Workshop
Learn the physics in a fun way. During the workshop, we learn how to handle liquid nitrogen and how the extreme cold material behave in the room temperature. The fun part is making ice-cream using the liquid nitrogen!
Marine Biology Workshop
In this workshop, the participants familiarize themselves to the environment of the Baltic Sea. We go out to explore the shore and the woods to find plants, small animals and birds typical to the Baltic Sea. On board the ship, we can make water quality tests and make observation of the sea bottom. During the workshop we also focus on the environmental protection of the Baltic Sea.
One Day Carpenter Workshop
Let’s build a bird house! Along the way we will learn about the wood materials, carpentry and painting. On nature camp, you can put your birdhouse on a tree as well!.
Workshop: Circular Economy
What if we could make the waste disappear? During the workshop we will learn how old clothes and used banners turn into something new. We will go through the basics of circular economy and recycling by trying it ourselves. Each participant will make their own new recycled product.
- Learn the basics of circular economy
- Systems thinking – how to solve complex problems?
- Innovation methods for creating new ideas
- Designing your own recycled product
Workshop: Water research and aquatic environment
Why the water is so essential for life and human well-being? How the pollution effects the water bodies and how it’s studied? What kind of creatures live underneath the surface?
During the workshop we will go through the basics of water monitoring methods and get familiar with some of the aquatic organisms and their role in the ecosystem. We will learn the basics of water chemistry and biology with practical examples and exercises.
– Learn some of the basics of water chemistry and biology
– Understand why the water bodies are monitored
– Learn where the pollution originate and how it may affect the environment
– Try water monitoring methods in practice
The Finnish education system in a nutshell:
- Municipally provided daycare for every child and a pre-school year for 6-year-olds
- 9 years of compulsory comprehensive school (ages 7–16)
- Further general academic or vocational education
- Higher education consisting of two complementary sectors: universities and universities of applied sciences
- Lifelong adult education
- A nation of high quality learning
Finland’s education system was named the best in the world by education firm Pearson in 2012.
The UN’s Education Index lists Finland education among the best education systems in the world.
Finland received top results in all of the OECD’s PISA surveys held between 2000 and 2009.
Finland has a literacy rate of 100%. 75% of Finns speaks two languages, 50% are multilingual.
40% of Finns have a degree from a university or university of applied sciences.